Grants of up to $15,000 to USA nonprofit organizations to help cover the costs of eligible reconstructive surgery for women in financial need. Funding is intended to directly support medical expenses, including supplemental insurance, and expenses not covered by the patient’s insurance, for women undergoing breast reconstruction surgery. Programs that benefit uninsured and underinsured women in underserved communities are particularly encouraged.
Examples of Allowable Expenses:
- Reimbursing women for the following expenses related to breast reconstruction:
- Travel to and from hospital
- Daycare during hospital visits
- Loss of wages during surgery
- Expenses not covered under patient’s insurance, or out-of-pocket deductibles and co-pays for the following breast reconstruction expenses:
- Areola tattoos
- Hospital Stay/Clinic fees
- Patient Coordination
- Pain pumps, surgical garments, etc
- Supplemental insurance for the purpose of breast reconstruction surgery (proof of surgery required)
Breast Reconstruction Awareness Fund Charitable Care Grants are awarded to U.S. based tax-exempt public 501(c)(3) charities that have a demonstrated track record of providing effective breast reconstruction surgery charity care. Involvement by an active ASPS member(s) is strongly encouraged.
Funds from this grant cannot be used for Plastic Surgeon physician surgical fees or cancer care.
Examples of Non-Allowable Expenses:
– Mastectomy surgery fees
– Plastic Surgeon physician surgical fees
– Expenses covered by patient’s insurance
– Organizational Indirect Costs
– Salaries or expenses for already existing programs
– Already donated services
Demonstration of Patient Eligibility:
1. All final expense reports will be expected to be detailed and broken down by patient and be accompanied by a description of how the patient fits the following criteria:
– Uninsured or underinsured
– From low- to moderate- income households
– Patient has undergone a mastectomy or lumpectomy from breast cancer diagnosis or prophylactic mastectomy for women who are at high risk for breast cancer.
2. Women seeking reconstruction due to the following conditions are not eligible:
– Women with congenital breast deformities
– Replacement implants after already receiving breast reconstruction
– Breast Reconstruction Awareness Fund Charitable Care Grant applications for the 2021 grant cycle will be accepted through Tuesday, April 6, 2021.
– All applications must be submitted by Tuesday April 6, 2021.
– Announcements of grant awards will be made in July of 2021.
Before starting your grant application, please review the funding source’s website listed below for updates/changes/addendums/conferences/LOIs.
For additional information about the Breast Reconstruction Awareness Fund Charitable Care Grant, please contact:
The Plastic Surgery Foundation
Attn: Mary Ruth Arway, MA
Research Grants Project Manager
444 E. Algonquin Road
Arlington Heights, Il 60005