Music is indeed life. This is the motivation behind New York’s Women’s Foundation to support female musicians with grants of up to $20,000 to New York City women composers, producers, musicians, bands, orchestras, and ensembles to produce new music albums, EPs, and videos. Funding is intended to support and encourage the creation of content that reflects the voices and perspectives of those who identify as women. The productions must be made in New York City and feature strong female participation.
The Fund will provide grants to support the production of a new EP, album, or music video(s) for yet to be released work. The grant funds projects in any music genre. Applicants will apply in one of the following categories:
- Classical, Experimental, New Music and Jazz
- General Music
Eligible Music projects may be one of the following:
- Recording an EP or Album: Recordings must be an original studio-recorded EP or album with a minimum total playing time of 15 minutes with at least three distinct tracks or an album with a minimum total playing time of 30 minutes with no minimum track requirement.
- Filming and producing a Music Video: Applicants may apply for funding to create a music video for an original, studio-recorded track.
- Must follow at least one of two criteria: 1) 75% of rehearsal and recording dates are in New York City or (2) 75% of the production costs are “qualified production costs.”
- Completed projects must be distributed either physically or digitally, whether by download or streaming are eligible as are recordings that are distributed in physical form.
The NYC Women’s Fund for Media, Music, and Theatre is a government-funded program. Accordingly, applicants will be required to propose a meaningful way to provide free public access The Artist may fulfill this requirement by providing public access to the project through a free online platform of their choice or the Artist website, or in another manner mutually agreeable to MOME.