Starting a business can be an exciting and challenging endeavor, but it can also be expensive. Between the cost of supplies, equipment, marketing, and rent, it can be difficult to get your business off the ground. Luckily, there are many grants available to help entrepreneurs get started in Ohio. These grants are designed to support the growth of small businesses and help them become established and successful.
Available Grants for Starting a Business in Ohio
The Ohio Development Services Agency (ODSA)
The Ohio Development Services Agency (ODSA) offers grants to businesses located in Ohio that are looking to start or grow their business.
This is a state-run agency that provides funding and support to small businesses in Ohio. They offer a wide range of grants and loan programs to help entrepreneurs start and grow their businesses. The grants are aimed at businesses in certain industries, such as advanced manufacturing, agribusiness, technology, and others.
- Location: The business must be located in Ohio.
- Industry: The business must be operating in an eligible industry, such as advanced manufacturing, agribusiness, technology, and others.
- Size: The business must be small, with fewer than 500 employees.
- Purpose: The grant must be used for a specific purpose, such as the purchase of equipment, research, and development, or marketing.
- Financial need: The business must demonstrate financial need and show that the grant will be used to help it grow.
How to Apply
To apply for the ODSA grant, businesses must submit an application to the Ohio Development Services Agency. The application should include information about the business, its industry, its location, its financial situation, and the specific purpose for which the grant will be used.
The application must also be accompanied by supporting documents, such as business financial statements, a business plan, and other relevant documents.
Once the application is received, the Ohio Development Services Agency will review it and determine if the business is eligible for the grant. If the business is eligible, the agency will notify the business and provide instructions on how to proceed.
The Minority Business Assistance Center (MBAC)
The Minority Business Assistance Center (MBAC) is a program run by the Ohio Development Services Agency (ODSA) that provides support to minority-owned businesses in Ohio. They offer a variety of resources, including business counseling, technical assistance, and access to capital.
To be eligible for the MBAC grant, you must be a minority-owned business located in Ohio and be 51% or more owned and controlled by an individual or individuals who are considered a minority in the United States.
How to Apply
To apply for the MBAC grant, you should first visit the Ohio Development Services Agency’s website and complete a pre-application form. This form will help you determine if your business is eligible for the MBAC program and what services and resources are available to you.
After submitting the pre-application form, you will be given the opportunity to schedule a counseling session with an MBAC business counselor. During this session, you will receive detailed information on the MBAC program and receive guidance on how to apply for the grant.
To apply for the MBAC grant, you will need to provide information about your business and its financial status, including your revenue and expenses. You will also need to provide a detailed business plan that outlines your goals and strategies for growing your business.
Finally, you will need to demonstrate that your business is in a position to benefit from the grant by showing that you have a clear plan for using the funding to help grow your business.
If you are approved for the MBAC grant, you will receive a cash award that can be used for a variety of business-related expenses, including purchasing equipment, leasing a facility, or developing a new product or service. The amount of the grant will depend on the size of your business and the specific needs of your business.
The Ohio Third Frontier Commission
The Ohio Third Frontier Commission is a government-run initiative aimed at providing funding and support to businesses and organizations that drive innovation and economic development in Ohio.
The program provides grants and loans to startups, small businesses, and other organizations to help them grow and succeed. They offer a range of grants, including the TechCelerator Grant Program, which provides funding to businesses working in the technology industry.
- The business must be located in Ohio and operate within the state.
- The business must be involved in technology-driven innovation, such as research and development, commercialization of new technologies, or the development of new products or services.
- The business must demonstrate a strong potential for growth and impact on the Ohio economy.
How to Apply
- Research the various programs offered by the Ohio Third Frontier Commission to determine which one is the best fit for your business.
- Review the eligibility criteria and application requirements for the chosen program.
- Gather all required documentation, such as business plans, financial statements, and evidence of technological innovation.
- Submit a complete application package to the Ohio Third Frontier Commission, following all instructions and guidelines provided.
- Await a decision regarding the status of your application. If selected for funding, follow all instructions for grant acceptance and disbursement.
The Ohio Small Business Development Centers (OSBDC)
The Ohio Small Business Development Centers (OSBDC) provide free business counseling and training to small business owners in Ohio. They also offer grants and loans to help entrepreneurs start and grow their businesses.
- The business must be a for-profit entity
- The business must be located in Ohio
- The business must be small, with less than 500 employees
- The business must have a demonstrated need for funding
How to Apply:
- Review the guidelines and eligibility requirements on the OSBDC website.
- Contact the nearest OSBDC office to schedule a consultation to discuss your funding needs.
- Provide the required information and documentation to the OSBDC, such as business financial statements, a business plan, and any other relevant information.
- Work with the OSBDC to determine the best funding options for your business, including the OSBDC grant program.
- Submit a formal grant application to the OSBDC, including all required information and documentation.
- Wait for a decision on your grant application, which typically takes several weeks.
- If approved, receive the grant funds and begin using them to support your business.
The Ohio Innovation Fund
The Ohio Innovation Fund is a state-backed venture capital fund that invests in Ohio-based startups with high growth potential. This fund provides funding and support to innovative companies in Ohio. They offer a range of grants and loans, including the JumpStart Ohio Fund, which provides funding to early-stage startups.
Eligibility for this grant program is typically limited to companies that are based in Ohio, have a strong management team, and are working on innovative products or services with significant market potential.
How to Apply
To apply for The Ohio Innovation Fund, interested startups should first visit the Ohio Development Services Agency website and review the fund’s eligibility criteria. If the company meets the criteria, the next step is to submit a formal business plan and investor presentation to the Ohio Innovation Fund.
The presentation should include information about the company’s product or service, target market, competition, financial projections, and funding needs.
Once the presentation is submitted, the Ohio Innovation Fund’s investment committee will review the materials and determine if the company is a good fit for the fund. If the company is accepted, it may be invited to attend an in-person pitch session where the management team will present its business to the investment committee.
The Ohio Capital Access Program (OCAP)
The Ohio Capital Access Program (OCAP) is a loan participation program that provides gap financing for small businesses in Ohio. The program is administered by the Ohio Development Services Agency and is designed to help small businesses obtain funding from participating lenders.
Eligibility for the OCAP Grant
- Your business must be located in Ohio and have a significant economic impact in the state.
- Your business must be for-profit and meet the definition of a small business, which is typically defined as having 500 or fewer employees.
- You must be seeking financing for a sound business purpose, such as working capital, machinery, equipment, or real estate.
- You must be unable to secure financing on reasonable terms and conditions without the assistance of the OCAP program.
How to Apply for the OCAP Grant
- Determine if your business is eligible by reviewing the program guidelines on the Ohio Development Services Agency website.
- Find a participating lender by contacting the Ohio Development Services Agency or visiting their website.
- Work with your lender to complete the loan application and provide all required documentation.
- If your loan is approved, your lender will work with the Ohio Development Services Agency to finalize the loan participation agreement and disburse funds.
Note: The OCAP program does not provide direct funding to businesses. Instead, it provides a guarantee to participating lenders for a portion of the loan, reducing the lender’s risk and making it easier for small businesses to obtain financing.
The Ohio Micro-Enterprise Program
The Ohio Micro-Enterprise Program is a grant program aimed at providing financial assistance to small businesses in Ohio.
This program provides funding and support to small businesses in Ohio. The program provides grants to eligible businesses to help start, grow, and expand. The grant can be used for a variety of purposes, including the purchase of equipment, working capital, inventory, and marketing.
- The business must be located in Ohio and be legally registered with the state.
- The business must have less than 5 employees and less than $35,000 in annual revenue
- The business must be considered a micro-enterprise, meaning it has 5 or fewer employees, including the owner.
- The business must have been in operation for at least one year.
- The business must demonstrate a need for funding to start, grow, or expand the business.
- The business must have a viable business plan and demonstrate its ability to repay the loan.
How to Apply
- Research the program to determine if the business is eligible.
- Prepare a comprehensive business plan that demonstrates the need for funding and the ability to repay the loan.
- Contact the Ohio Development Services Agency to inquire about the application process and obtain a copy of the application.
- Complete the application, including all required supporting documentation, such as financial statements and tax returns.
- Submit the completed application to the Ohio Development Services Agency for review.
There are many available grants for starting a business in Ohio. These grants are designed to help entrepreneurs get their businesses off the ground and become established and successful.
To be eligible, businesses must meet specific criteria, such as location, size, and ownership structure. To learn more about these grants and how to apply, interested entrepreneurs should reach out to the relevant organizations or visit their websites.