Fellowships to USA, Canada, and International postdoctoral students and recent graduates to participate in scientific research exchange programs in eligible countries. Funding is intended for the fellow to pursue postdoctoral research in a laboratory located in a different country than where he or she earned their PhD. International exchange is a key feature in the application process. EMBO Postdoctoral Fellowships also support the career development of the fellows through leadership courses and networking opportunities.
EMBO subject areas include: Cell Cycle, Cell and Tissue Architecture, Cellular Metabolism, Chromatin and Transcription, Development, Differentiation and Death, Evolution and Ecology, Genome Stability and Dynamics, Genomic and Computational Biology, Immunology, Membranes and Transport, Microbiology, Virology and Pathogens, Molecular Medicine, Neuroscience, Plant Biology, Proteins and Biochemistry, RNA, Signal.
Transduction, Structural Biology and Biophysics, and Systems Biology. Starting with the first 2020 evaluation, EMBO will offer grants for host institutions in EMBC Member States to issue employment contracts to EMBO Fellows. Fellows working in other countries than EMBC Member States will receive a stipend.
For additional information about fellowship benefits, see: https://www.embo.org/documents/PDF/Postdoctoral_Fellowships_guidelines.pdf#page=8
Term of Contract:
EMBO Postdoctoral Fellowships are awarded for a period of two years although shorter duration can be requested. The minimum fellowship duration that can be requested is one year. Fellowships must be started within one calendar year from the relevant evaluation cut-off.
- Applicants must hold a doctorate degree or equivalent at the start of the fellowship.
- Applicants who already hold a PhD at the time of application are eligible to apply only if they obtained it during the two years prior to the date the application is complete.
- Applicants must have at least one first author publication accepted in or published in an international peer reviewed journal at the time of application.
- All applications must involve movement between countries (detailed information about mobility requirements is listed in the EMBO Postdoctoral Fellowships guidelines).
- Applications to go to the country in which the PhD was obtained will not be considered.
- Applications to return to a laboratory where the candidate has worked in the past for more than six months, either in one or in several visits will not be considered.
- Applications for an EMBO Postdoctoral Fellowship to be held in the laboratory, institute or department in which the candidate worked to obtain the PhD, or to work again with the candidate’s supervisor, no matter where the latter is located, will not be considered.
- Candidates who have already started working in the host laboratory can apply only if they have been working in the host laboratory for less than six months at the time the application is complete.
- Candidates can only submit one application for one project at one host laboratory at each round of selection.
- Reapplication is permissible only once. Applicants must have at least one first (or joint first) author publication accepted in or published in an international peer reviewed journal at the time of application. For more information on publication requirements, see the following link:
All applications must involve movement between countries. Please note that international laboratories such as EMBL are considered extraterritorial and hence movement, for example, from a university or institute in Germany to EMBL Heidelberg is permitted. For more information on mobility requirements, please see the following link:
EMBC Member states: Austria, Belgium, Croatia, Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Iceland, Ireland, Israel, Italy, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Malta, Montenegro, Netherlands, Norway, Poland, Portugal, Slovak Republic, Slovenia, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland, Turkey, and United Kingdom
EMBC Associate Member States: India, Singapore
Countries / territories covered by a co-operation agreement: Taiwan, Chile
There are no application deadline for EMBO Postdoctoral Fellowships.
There are two annual evaluation deadlines for EMBO Postdoctoral Fellowships:
- Second Friday of February, 14:00 Central European Time:
First evaluation deadline. Complete applications up to this deadline will enter the evaluation process. Results for this round will be announced at the end of May or beginning of June.
- Second Friday of August, 14:00 Central European Summer Time:
Second evaluation deadline. Complete applications up to this deadline will enter the evaluation process. Results for this round will be announced at the end of November or beginning of December.
Applications and supporting documentation (two references, receiving institute acceptance) are only accepted via the online application system.
About the Fellowships: https://www.embo.org/funding-awards/fellowships/postdoctoral-fellowships#about
Research Integrity: https://www.embo.org/funding-awards/fellowships/postdoctoral-fellowships#research-integrity
Before starting your grant application, please review the funding source’s website listed below for updates/changes/addendums/conferences/LOIs.
Register and apply online: